Southern California car shows, meets, museums, regional car club events, and things you should know about that are carcentric.
- Every Sunday, 1-4 PM – Green Machine Radio, the You Auto Know show, and Racer Radio hosted by automotive expert Dave Stall and co-host Michele Spencer, AM 1170. Live broadcast out of San Diego County. Outside of San Diego, listen live through either http://am1170theanswer.com/ or https://www.iheart.com/live/am-1170-the-answer-6020/
- So Cal All Rotary Meet – Last Saturday each month, 8 – 11 PM. Parking lot near Wal-Mart at Cerritos Towne Center on Bloomfield Ave, Cerritos. All years, makes, models of rotary engine cars and trucks welcome. https://www.facebook.com/SoCalAllRotary/
- Breakfast Club Cruise-Ins at the Petersen Automotive Museum – Sunday mornings. Various themes, announced monthly. https://petersen.org and the museum’s Facebook page.
- South Orange County Cars and Coffee – Every Saturday, 7 AM to 9 AM (ends promptly), Outlet Shops at San Clemente, 5 Freeway exit Avenida Vista Hermosa (west of freeway). Top of parking structure. All makes and models.
- Newport Beach Cars and Cafe – Last Sunday each month at Moulin Bakery and Cafe. 7 AM to 9 AM. High end exotics, lots of Porsches and BMWs, a few US makes. Additional information and photos from past meets is on their Facebook page: facebook.com/CarsAndCafeNB
- Donut Derelicts – Every Saturday, 6:30 AM, Adams Avenue Donuts in Huntington Beach (at Magnolia).
- Carlsbad Cars & Coffee – Every Saturday, 7 AM, Poinsettia Village Shopping Center, off the 5 freeway at Poinsettia Drive exit in Carlsbad (east of freeway).
- CBAD Cars – Every Saturday, 7 -9 AM, 7130 Avenida Encinas. See their Facebook page. Import tuners favorite.
- Car Show Sundays – First Sunday each month, 11 AM, 1080 West San Marcos Blvd (North San Diego County), San Marcos.
- Palm Springs Cruisin’ Association Cruise Night, First Saturday every month, 4-8 PM, Spa Resort and Casino in Downtown Palm Springs. http:www.palmspringscruisinassociation.com
- Breakfast at Moe’s, Every Tuesday, 7:30 AM, 27405 Jefferson Avenue, Temecula. http://www.overthehillgangtv.com
- Sevenstock, Every November (Date TBA), Auto Club Speedway, Fontana. An all day party celebrating the Mazda victory at the 24 Hours of LeMans by a rotary engine race car, a feat never repeated by any other rotary race car or any other Japanese car maker. Hundreds of rotary engine cars turn out, including “old school” RX-3, RX-4, REPUs (rotary engine pick up trucks), tractors, Miatas, and RX-7s and 8s. Mazda brings a display of its historics, usually the 1963 white Cosmo. Mazda also brings a few of its rotary race cars and supplies the drivers, then does several runs around the race track. Food trucks are on hand. On Facebook: Sevenstock.
SO CAL RACING 2018
Monster Energy Supercross – Dirt track professional motorcycle racing. Season opener at Angel Stadium January 6. supercrosslive.com
Irwindale Speedway – Remaining open for 2018 race season after being slated for closure January 31, 2018. Drag racing every Thursday night in January from 5-10 PM. $20 entry fee; $10 to spectate. Racing night on the oval track on January 27, 2018 “Night of Destruction” and fireworks display. This was supposed to be the final event at the speedway; fortunately, it’s not. See the Carcentric Racing News page for full details. http://www.irwindalespeedway.com/
Perris Auto Speedway (Riverside County) – Oval dirt track racing featuring multiple classes of sprint cars, street stocks, super stocks, factory stocks, and modifieds. Events throughout the year. Official season runs April through November. Main events in the evenings. http://perrisautospeedway.com/
Barona Drags at Barona Speedway (San Diego County) – 1/8 mile drag strip. Runs nearly year-round, including “King of the Track Wally Race” and Test and Tune. Gates open 8 am. Racing from 10 am to 4 pm. $40 to register to race. $20 for spectators. http://www.baronadrags.com/
Orange Show Speedway, San Bernardino: Quarter mile oval asphalt track. Classes of late models, street stocks, Barber pole, Bandoleros, and mini stocks. Season runs April through November. Pits open for race crews at noon; gates open for fans at 4 PM; Racing starts at 5 PM. $15 admission for adults, free for kids. Free parking. theorangeshowspeedway.com
Auto Club Speedway, Fontana: 2 mile asphalt superspeedway, 1.3 mile asphalt road course, and quarter mile asphalt drag strip. Hosts NASCAR events, private autocross events and racing instruction courses throughout the year. https://www.autoclubspeedway.com /
Pomona Raceway: Drag strip. Traditionally hosts NHRA opener and finals/championships (November) in Top Fuel, Pro Stock, Funny Car, and Pro Stock Motorcycle classes. “Every ticket’s a pit pass.” https://www.nhra.com/
Ventura Raceway: Oval dirt track. Sprint car racing, various classes. Traditional host of the Turkey Night Grand Prix . https://venturaraceway.com/
December 16: New exhibition opens at The Petersen Museum. Sidewalk Speedsters: The Grown-up World of Children’s Cars examines the development, purpose and meaning of vehicles that were often campaigned in friendly competition, but because of their tiny size, effectively preclude their use by adults. Purchase tickets at Petersen.org.
December 28 – January 1: San Diego Auto Show at SD Convention Center, downtown SD. http://www.sdautoshow.com/
January 6: Rockabilly Car & Bike Meet, 2-6 PM, Legacy Brewing Co., 363 Airport Road, Oceanside. See Legacy Brewing Co’s Facebook page.
January 13 and 14: “Winter Heat” racing at Perris Auto Speedway. http://perrisautospeedway.com/
January 14: Cruisin Grand Fundraiser, 1 PM, Grand Avenue, Escondido. Register at cruisingrand.com
January 16: “The Art of Bugatti ” exhibit ends at The Petersen.
Ongoing Exhibits at The Petersen:
- “Sidewalk Speedsters: The Grown Up World of Childrens’ Cars“
- “Harley vs. Indian“
- “Seeing Red: 50 Years of Ferrari“
- “All American Racers“
- “Hollywood Cars”
- “The High Art of Riding Low”
- “Cars Mechanical Institute – Lightning McQueen”
- “Jaguar’s Pursuit of Speed“
January 20: Monster Energy Supercross Racing, Angel Stadium in Anaheim. supercrosslive.com
January 27: Carroll Shelby Birthday Cruise-In at The Petersen Museum, 9-11 AM. Tickets at petersen.org
January 27: San Diego GT, Sorrento Valley. 8 AM. Exotics-only cars and coffee, at O’Gara La Jolla Service Center. Food trucks, music, and hypercars. Facebook page and https://www.sandiegogranturismo.com/
January 26-28: O’Reilly Grand National Roadster Show, Pomona Fairplex. 69th annual show. More than a thousand hot rods, customs, muscle cars, classic trucks, and motorcycles. rodshows.com
January 28: Import Face-Off drag racing and car show, Auto Club Dragway, Fontana. All day show, burnout contest, drifting, drag racing with mostly Japanese imports. importfaceoff.net
February 8 -11: NHRA Lucas Oil Winternationals, Pomona Fairplex. Professional drag racing season opener. https://www.nhra.com/
February 1: Opening Reception for “The Porsche Effect” exhibit at The Petersen. Celebrating 70th anniversary of Porsche. The exhibit opens to the public on February 3. Tickets: petersen.org/porscheeffect
February 10: Opening Day, Perris Auto Speedway. http://perrisautospeedway.com/
February 11: Valentine’s Day Rides, The Automobile Driving Museum, El Segundo. Bring your loved ones to the museum and give them the experience of a lifetime – enjoy complimentary chocolate and champagne while you ride in a classic red car! Suggested Donation: Adults: $10 Senior: $8 Child (11-17): $5 Child under 10: FREE Children will be measured at check-in for rides. Must meet CA requirements of 4’8″. No reservations required. First come first served. https://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/events/
February 24: Packard Car Show, The Automobile Driving Museum, El Segundo. First-ever ADM show featuring the sadly gone-with-the-wind luxury marque that practically invented the term baller in 1899. $15. https://www.automobiledrivingmuseum.org/events/
February 24 – 25: Western States Racer Expo at Pomona – Race Prep 101 for all kinds of racers, beginning, intermediate, professional, dirt track, oval track, road course – young and old are welcome to learn from the pros how to optimize race performance, get sponsors, and most importantly, have fun. https://raceprep101.com/ westernstatesracerexpo.com [POSTPONED UNTIL LATER IN 2018, DATE TBA]
March 2-4: The Classic Auto Show, Los Angeles Convention Center. In its second year. TheClassicAutoShow.com
March 3: Opening Night, Perris Auto Speedway. http://perrisautospeedway.com/
March 18: Auto Club 400, Auto Club Speedway, Fontana. NASCAR returns to So Cal. The Xfinity series NXS 300 race is March 17. autoclubspeedway.com or 866-764-7223. Discounts of 50% off are available to Auto Club members. VIP packages are available, permitting access to the drivers’ meeting and the celebrations in victory lane, in addition to a pre-race pit pass; starting prices at $59 each experience.
March 24-25: 18th Annual Beachcruiser Meet, Huntington Beach. Where you must be if you are sporting a Woody. Main St and Pier Plaza, 1972 and older cars and trucks. Call (760)468-2115 or email email@example.com to enter.
March 25: Formula 1 series kickoff. Australian Grand Prix. I won’t miss the Grid Girls….will you?
April 7-8: La Jolla Concours D’Elegance, La Jolla. The premier luxury & classic car show in San Diego. https://www.lajollaconcours.com/
April 6-8: 18th Annual Meguiar’s Goodguys Nationals, SD County Fairgrounds, Del Mar. http://www.good-guys.com
April 6 – Cruisin’ Grand, Escondido, Opening Night. Theme: Willys Night. Pre-1972 cars and trucks. Info – call 760-746-8461 or firstname.lastname@example.org https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cruisin-Grand/150792471720327
April 14: Corn Feed Run Car Show & Cruise, Chino Civic Center, 8 am. Pre-74 only. Call 909-334-3250 for info.
April 15: Fabulous Fords Forever Show, Knott’s Berry Farm, Buena Park. All makes and models, modded or stock. Register to show. http://www.fabulousfordsforever.com/
May 4 – 7: Vegas Invasion of Del Sols, Las Vegas NV. 16th annual gathering of Honda Del Sol enthusiasts, the largest such gathering in the US. Non-owners welcome. Special hotel rates, location and pricing TBA. http://vegasinvasion.net/
May 19 and 20: Muckenthaler Motor Car Festival, Fullerton. In its 24th year. Claimed to be the oldest car show in Orange County. Classics, hot rods, customs, vintage bikes, vintage trailers, on 8 acres. On Sunday, May 20: Concours d’elegance. muckcarshow.org
June 2: Steve McQueen Car & Motorcycle Show, Boys Republic, Chino. Vintage displays of Mustangs, Porsches, motorcycles, and more. Student bakery on site selling wares, plus food trucks. Annual benefit fundraiser the Boys Republic, which McQueen credits for turning his life around. https://stevemcqueencarshow.com/
June 24: Shelby/Ford Car Show, Deer Park Winery, Escondido. 10 AM – 2 PM. Third annual event. Open to all Shelby cars, Shelby-influenced, and non-Shelby Fords. Replicas OK. http://www.socalsaac.org/
September 15: 14th Annual Japanese Classic Car Show, Long Beach Marina Park. Bring your classic Datsun, Nissan, Mazda, Isuzu, Honda, Toyota, whatever – trailer or drive it in. Some manufacturers participate. Trophies to be earned, the hard way, through tough competition. Register or buy tickets at http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/